1. Sullivan JL. Iron and the sex difference in heart disease risk. Lancet. Jun 13 1981;1(8233):1293-1294.
2. Salonen JT, Nyyssonen K, Korpela H, Tuomilehto J, Seppanen R, Salonen R. High stored iron levels are associated with excess risk of myocardial infarction in eastern Finnish men. Circulation. Sep 1992;86(3):803-811.
3. Food and Nutrition Board. Dietary reference intakes for vitamin A, vitamin K, arsenic, boron, chromium, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, silicon, vanadium and zinc. Washington, DC: The National Academy of Sciences Press; 2001.
4. National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Iron. National Institutes of Health. July 26, 2005. Available at: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp. Accessed December 5, 2005.
5. Pho K. Iron in Diet. Available at: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002422.htm#Food%20Sources. Accessed Feb 3, 2005.
6. Liu JM, Hankinson SE, Stampfer MJ, Rifai N, Willett WC, Ma J. Body iron stores and their determinants in healthy postmenopausal US women. Am J Clin Nutr. Dec 2003;78(6):1160-1167.
7. Recommendation to Prevent and Control Iron Deficiency in the United States. MMRW. April 3 1998;47:1-36.
8. Recommendations to prevent and control iron deficiency in the United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. MMWR Recomm Rep. Apr 3 1998;47(RR-3):1-29.
9. Alpert PT. New and emerging theories of cardiovascular disease: infection and elevated iron. Biol Res Nurs. Jul 2004;6(1):3-10.
10. Zacharski LR, Ornstein DL, Woloshin S, Schwartz LM. Association of age, sex, and race with body iron stores in adults: analysis of NHANES III data. Am Heart J. Jul 2000;140(1):98-104.
11. Iron Deficiency--United States, 1999-2000. JAMA. November 6, 2002 2002;288(17):2114-2116.
12. Iron Tests. American Association of Clinical Chemistry. Available at: http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/iron/overview.html. Accessed 1/30/06, 2006.
13. Looker AC, Dallman PR, Carroll MD, Gunter EW, Johnson CL. Prevalence of iron deficiency in the United States. JAMA. March 26, 1997 1997;277(12):973-976.
14. Fleming D, Jacques P, Dallal G, Tucker K, Wilson P, Wood R. Dietary determinants of iron stores in a free-living elderly population: The Framingham Heart Study. Am J Clin Nutr. April 1, 1998 1998;67(4):722-733.
15. Bozzini C, Girelli D, Olivieri O, et al. Prevalence of Body Iron Excess in the Metabolic Syndrome. Diabetes Care. August 1, 2005 2005;28(8):2061-2063.
16. Jiang R, Manson JE, Meigs JB, Ma J, Rifai N, Hu FB. Body iron stores in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes in apparently healthy women. JAMA. Feb 11 2004;291(6):711-717.
17. Morrison HI, Semenciw RM, Mao Y, Wigle DT. Serum iron and risk of fatal acute myocardial infarction. Epidemiology. Mar 1994;5(2):243-246.
18. Roest M, van der Schouw YT, de Valk B, et al. Heterozygosity for a hereditary hemochromatosis gene is associated with cardiovascular death in women. Circulation. Sep 21 1999;100(12):1268-1273.
19. Kiechl S, Willeit J, Egger G, Poewe W, Oberhollenzer F. Body iron stores and the risk of carotid atherosclerosis: prospective results from the Bruneck study. Circulation. Nov 18 1997;96(10):3300-3307.
20. Tuomainen TP, Salonen R, Nyyssonen K, Salonen JT. Cohort study of relation between donating blood and risk of myocardial infarction in 2682 men in eastern Finland. BMJ. Mar 15 1997;314(7083):793-794.
21. Meyers DG, Strickland D, Maloley PA, Seburg JK, Wilson JE, McManus BF. Possible association of a reduction in cardiovascular events with blood donation. Heart. Aug 1997;78(2):188-193.
22. Iron Deficiency - United States, 1999-2000: Centeres for Disease Control; Oct 11 2000.
23. Frith-Terhune AL, Cogswell ME, Khan LK, Will JC, Ramakrishnan U. Iron deficiency anemia: higher prevalence in Mexican American than in non-Hispanic white females in the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994. Am J Clin Nutr. October 1, 2000 2000;72(4):963-968.
24. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Iron Deficiency -- United States, 1999-2000. MMWR. October 11, 2002 2002;51:897-899.
25. Sarnak MJ, Tighiouart H, Manjunath G, et al. Anemia as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease in The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study. J Am Coll Cardiol. Jul 3 2002;40(1):27-33.
26. Arant CB, Wessel TR, Olson MB, et al. Hemoglobin level is an independent predictor for adverse cardiovascular outcomes in women undergoing evaluation for chest pain: results from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Women's Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. Jun 2 2004;43(11):2009-2014.
27. Nikolsky E, Aymong ED, Halkin A, et al. Impact of anemia in patients with acute myocardial infarction undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention: analysis from the Controlled Abciximab and Device Investigation to Lower Late Angioplasty Complications (CADILLAC) Trial. J Am Coll Cardiol. Aug 4 2004;44(3):547-553.
28. Tapiero H, Gate L, Tew KD. Iron: deficiencies and requirements. Biomed Pharmacother. Jul 2001;55(6):324-332.
29. Allen LH. Pregnancy and iron deficiency: unresolved issues. Nutr Rev. Apr 1997;55(4):91-101.
30. Scholl TO, Hediger ML, Fischer RL, Shearer JW. Anemia vs iron deficiency: increased risk of preterm delivery in a prospective study. Am J Clin Nutr. May 1992;55(5):985-988.
31. Malhotra M, Sharma JB, Batra S, Sharma S, Murthy NS, Arora R. Maternal and perinatal outcome in varying degrees of anemia. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. Nov 2002;79(2):93-100.
32. USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Refference Nov 1999.